-> NEW SERVER IP: 94.23.196.155 - PRESS UPDATE BUTTON IN GAME TO REFRESH YOUR SERVER LIST <-

-> Get fix for server browser freeze caused by Gamespy shutdown here <-

Battlefield 1942 in 2018

Discuss. About Battlefield. 1942 of course.

Battlefield 1942 in 2018

Postby JawBreaker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 pm

JawBreaker

Re: Battlefield 1942 in 2018

Postby TheVicar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:58 am

Hi JawBreaker, long time

The game looks very good but I might have a personal issue with it (so its not a criticism of the game)

On foot it looks like close quarter fire fighting. I'm old and that will give me headaches

I'll have to try before I buy to get a feel of it

If I don't bite then I think I might die off when there are no BF1942 or BFVietnam servers left. A bit of space and time creates more atmosphere in a game and '42 nailed it. BFVietnam was good but got the no.2 slot. BF1942 is like a glove that fits, until the rest of the world makes it worn out

(The 1st unofficial? Vietnam mod for BF1942, before BFVietnam was released, had the correct map scaling and the helicopters were very difficult to fly - I've never witnessed a better map on any game before or since and I can't remember what the map was called. I'm not happy that I can't find those files just to see it again)
TheVicar

Postby JawBreaker » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:51 pm

JawBreaker

Postby JawBreaker » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:15 pm

As someone that has written the cover story to PC Gamer, been published in The New York Times and The Washington Post and founded my own print golf magazine where I was Editor-in-Chief .. I'd like to offer this comprehensive and exhaustive review of Battlefield V:

It sucks ass

All ya had to do was remake 42 with the new graphics.

Ya fools.
JawBreaker

Postby TheVicar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:52 pm

Agreed. Plus add some flamethrowers, V2's and a handfull of nukes for good measure

EA still owe me $15 for the BF1943 PC pre-release payment
TheVicar

Postby JawBreaker » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:22 pm

This is the best explanation and analysis I have found yet on Battlefield V. It comes from Gamespot. They describe it very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4JTrJVWNrk

The only thing I could add for folks wondering if the new BFV is good .. or "I like BF42 so maybe I should try this one .. "

There is no .. and I mean NO .. feeling of taking part in something historical or grand. There's no Wake Island or Battle of the Bulge or Normandy or Market Garden. There's no "ties" to these GRAND EPIC BATTLES we play in '42.

The battles that take place could literally be anywhere .. and pretty much any time.

There's no "anchor" of history or the experience of what it would have been like to be in Stalingrad or Berlin or Midway.

The game is just .. basically .. a super hyper-fast twitch reaction Call of Duty Black Ops/Battlefield 4 type game.

As Vic said above .. console gameplay.

It should be noted that Battlefield 1942 was never released on console in any format or form.

What we play is an exclusive PC experience that can't be found anywhere else.

And if you ask me .. when they lost that ... that's the exact point where it all went wrong.

JB

JawBreaker

Postby TheVicar » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:09 pm

at 3 mins: The guy states that he doesn't know whats going on in Church.....

BFV is now a no for me. You have to skill up to fly planes effectively (i want everybody to be equal at every spawn, not higher skilled because I've merely owned the game for longer)

They also state there isn't enough time to build and/or plan anything as the game is in a constant firefight

Looks good, but so does the CGI in most films. Gameplay is what games are about, not how it looks
TheVicar

Postby JawBreaker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:24 am

I will say this, though, Vic .. it's made me look at BF1 in a different light.

I would never go as far as saying that Battlefield 1 is a good game. But when I play it now I have more respect that it is CLOSER to what we view a Battlefield game to be. The maps are VAST in BF1. VAST. And .. wouldn't you know it .. my favorite map is called Heligoland Bight .. and nobody plays it. It's not even included in any Grand Operations or Shock Operations gameplay. But when I play *THAT* map .. mostly on some server in Antarctica or Northern Greenland evidently .. everything is there. Look it over:

https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/Heligoland_Bight

It's a GRAND expanse of combat. There are tons of airplanes, there are Airships (blimps), there are great big gigantic ships and tons and tons of smaller boats. (to be exact, the naval battle in this map is One Giant Dreadnought Battleship, two big destroyers and 8 torpedo boats that are manned by 3 people .. each side gets that. It's a helluva naval battle, it really is. Especially when you throw in all the planes bombing the ships and the AA fire from the destroyers and the Hindenburg blimps firing, basically, SKY ARTILLERY at the dreadnought ships .. and the coastal guns .. it's all a helluva thing, man) There is also lots of land to fight on for infantry and there are amphibious landings that need to be made to take certain flags. Bunkers and coastal guns and half wrecked ships that have washed up on shore. A submarine that broke in half that washed up on shore is one of the flags.

So .. ya got ships duking it out and airplanes bombing boats and land troops .. and AA coming from ships and the land and coastal guns firing at the ships and torpedoes all over the place and mortars firing and heavy machine guns mowing dudes down and on and on and on ..

See ... now THAT'S Battlefield. That's why we're not Call of Duty. It's just fucking chaos is what it is. That's BATTLEFIELD. An utter maelstrom of tornadic death machines flying, floating, running, motoring and hammering the SHIT out of everything you see.

That's Battlefield.

And that's Heligoland Bight on BF1.

I'm sorry to say that nobody plays it anymore.

And I'm sorry to say that's really the only map that offers anything like that in BF1.

From my description of what I think Battlefield is ... you can take away and form your own opinions on what the new Battlefield V is .. and most definitely is not .. and determine why I feel the way I do about the new installment.

JB

JawBreaker

Return to BF1942 Related Discussion