-> NEW SERVER IP: 94.23.196.155 - PRESS UPDATE BUTTON IN GAME TO REFRESH YOUR SERVER LIST <-

-> Get fix for server browser freeze caused by Gamespy shutdown here <-

Video capture software?

Discuss. About Battlefield. 1942 of course.

Video capture software?

Postby TheVicar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Which software do people advice using for in game footage?
TheVicar

Re: Video capture software?

Postby JawBreaker » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Hey Vicar ..

Whenever Hilly and I do the Twitch broadcasts, which we haven't done it quite some time as their seems to be less and less of a demand for it, I use a software suite called "Open Broadcast Software" or OBS. While this is for broadcasting on Twitch .. or some other gaming broadcast site of your choice .. the software itself is fantastic at capturing everything that happens on the screen.

There are many options that you have to choose from. If you are not broadcasting, where bandwidth is extremely important for smooth viewing, then the quality is basically unlimited .. well, as unlimited as it can get with hard drive limitations. If you have a large hard drive to store the footage, though, then stereo sound with 60 fps 1920x1080 is very easy to achieve. There is just a simple setting .. a checkbox .. to save the video as you play to whatever drive and folder you choose. It's also handy to record any type of instructional video as it will capture your desktop .. as you narrate .. or any other type of software program that you may be running. I use it for when I record songs to explain to the contract players what I am doing inside of the software and where to record their bass or drum or keyboard parts. They perform their sections and send the file back to me and then I can lay the lead guitar parts over what they have done. So, the software is very versatile to whatever you may need it to do.

It's "Open Broadcast Software" but if you are not broadcasting, it is perfect for capturing in-game footage. Pretty much anything that is shown on your monitor .. or comes through your speakers .. that's the footage you can capture.

And, best of all, it's free.

Here's the link for you:

https://obsproject.com/

Hope this helps you out!

JB

JawBreaker

Postby TheVicar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Superstar. Thanks very much.

I've been working on how to capture the German flags on Omaha without using the ramps on either side of the cliff.
A rocket/mortar launched grappling hook would be ideal, but I've had to make do with what we get in the game.

I've achieved this only twice so far (from probably over 50 attempts in single player mode). I need the video cap software in place for when I master the technique. Whether or not my method would be allowed is yet to be seen, as its doesn't use bugs or glitching and the design of the map makes me wonder if the makers of 1942 thought "we'll make that only just possible to do".

Watch this space....
TheVicar

Postby JawBreaker » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 pm

TheVicar wrote:Superstar. Thanks very much.

You're very welcome, my friend.

I'm no software guru .. unless it is audio software. That I know. I have about $50,000 in software programs for recording audio. So much so that most radio stations I go in to for work .. I just change them over to my software. I clean out all that garbage they have (which is mostly dumbass Pro Tools stuff so everybody can sound like a robot and yell "Yo Baby Yo Baby Yo Baby Yo). All of my software comes from when I worked in Los Angeles and is all Sony Motion Picture Software or Sony Records. So, if you ever need anything from that .. I can help you.

As for Omaha .. Hilly will have to check my memory here because he was around then too but .. I remember that when Battlefield 1942 was about two or three patches in .. you could find a server where friendly fire was off and .. get at the base of the hill and have your buddy pile ex-packs under you and explode them and it would get you up that hill to the flag. Moongamers started as Omaha only .. I forget the name of it .. but it was always for really, really WEIRD people that was not in to clans at all. And they liked playing the same map over and over and over again. And they had that down .. what you are talking about there. I was always .. not only a clan player but .. a tournament clan player. I was Commanding Officer at Steal Rage and .. I remember going over to Moonies to witness what some of my players and officers were telling me .. that these kooks over at Moongamers had this shit figured out where you could do this. So, I can remember going over there just to watch these nutjobs try to do this.

My recollection is .. they had it down. I mean, they did it. But .. it lasted about 2 weeks and then EA patched it out with the next patch.

But that was my only interaction with the tin foil hat/heavy psychotic meds crowd at Moongamers when this game was hot. Only because we were going to play that map in the coming CAL match and I wanted to see if this was possible so I could devise a defense against it.

I don't really recall if it was done during tournament play or not, Vicar. We went undefeated so we must have won but I don't have any specific memories of the map. It's not really that difficult of a map to win from either side strategically. It's INCREDIBLY difficult in this era of all pub players because artillery sighting by snipers and then two good gunners in the ship OBLITERATE any chance the Germans have. In a pub circumstance, you'd be real lucky to just get one decent sighting from a sniper. Usually it's of their feet or the sky or some goofy shit. Nobody knows how to sight. I had guys who were nothing but sea captains .. and they had sailors under them. All they did was practice sea warfare all week under the watchful eye of my Chief of Naval Operations. I would assign him a task and then he would go assign the captains the specifics and train his sailors. Then, I had a Scouting Division .. which I called "Special Operations" .. which there really wasn't any but it sounded cool. These were CRACK snipers and they had a Sergeant Major in charge of them. I didn't feel like any sniper could be an officer in my clan. Just not valuable enough. So, the Chief of Staff would coordinate maneuvers with The Chief of Naval Operations .. we'd shut our server down and password it .. and they would sit there for three hours a night on how to spot and how to fire for maximum effect.

The match would come and I pretty much wouldn't have to say anything on comms. The Sgt, Major would deploy, the naval operations would open up and I would watch the points peel off the board. I'd give the go for Assault and up the hill they would go .. I pretty much didn't do anything. The Chief of Staff was responsible for inter-team coordination and he had his shit down hardcore and cold.

So, in match play .. that's how we took the hill at Omaha back in the day.

JB

JawBreaker

Postby JawBreaker » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:33 am

Of course, moments before the match would begin I would key Master Comms .. meaning all divisions .. all sections .. all squadrons .. all personnel could hear me and only me ..

I would say:

Big duke six to eagle thrust. Put on psy-war-op. Make it loud. This is a romeo foxtrot. Shall we dance?

.. and my men would proceed to FREAK .. TO .. FUCK .. OUT

Screaming, shouting, firing, cursing .. I would whip them in to a thunderous rage of adrenaline.

A massive gun would explode with heavy ordinance, the server countdown would hit zero and my boys would :

STONE ..

COLD ..

MURDER

https://youtu.be/vP-mwk00MgM?t=10

Those were The Grand Old Days of Tournament Clan Warfare
JawBreaker

Postby iCQ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Personally i use SimpleScreenRecorder http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/ but i think it wont work for windows users.
Last edited by iCQ on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheVicar » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:14 pm

I gave up on video capture software for now, low frame rates, missing dll's, updates etc.

I didn't give up attempting to get to the German flag on Omaha without using the side ramps....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqqqspZgDQ
TheVicar

Postby iCQ » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 pm

TheVicar wrote:I gave up on video capture software for now, low frame rates, missing dll's, updates etc.

I didn't give up attempting to get to the German flag on Omaha without using the side ramps....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqqqspZgDQ

Ahhh good old cam... works like a charm.. nice move to flag! :-D

Postby Posi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:39 am

Omaha w/o side ramps - Axis perspective
Last edited by Posi on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posi

Postby TheVicar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 pm

I wished you hadn't shown me that, I can sense another player getting banned soon.
TheVicar

Next

Return to BF1942 Related Discussion