-> NEW SERVER IP: 94.23.196.155 - PRESS UPDATE BUTTON IN GAME TO REFRESH YOUR SERVER LIST <-

-> Get fix for server browser freeze caused by Gamespy shutdown here <-

Dropped £420 on a Graphics Card And Still Keep Coming Back

Discuss. About Battlefield. 1942 of course.

Dropped £420 on a Graphics Card And Still Keep Coming Back

Postby Bad Actor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Man, as the title says.
Upgraded to an MSI Gaming Z 1070 card and still keep returning to this bitch of a game.
Tried all the other latest FPS shooters with the new card but it just ain't the same.
What the frig is it with BF1942?

Not been on much lately as been working away but man I miss it when I can't get a game in.
iRacing might push my new card which is the main reason I bought it as BF1942 won't tax it much but from now on it's iRacing and BF1942 all the way, the new FPS boys on the block simply don't cut it.
Bad Actor

Re: Dropped £420 on a Graphics Card And Still Keep Coming Ba

Postby TheVicar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:51 pm

TheVicar

Postby Bad Actor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Oh yeah, I remember now and I think I purchased and downloaded DOD based on your post.
Not loaded it up again.
Thinking I could have saved the dosh and stuck with what I had to play BF1942.
Still, if they go VR on it then I'm sorted.
Bad Actor

Postby TheVicar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Yeah, DOD was the bottleneck firefight at its peak. But that kind of game can't compare with 1942's recipe. Its a lot about the scale of the maps, speed and weapon damage that makes this feel right.

Apologies if you've wasted money, I've not played DOD for a few years.
TheVicar

Postby JawBreaker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Hey B.A .. miss playing with you.

I've considered exactly what you have expressed for a long period of time .. probably 10 years. I have not really come up with any solid evidence where it doesn't look like some FAN BOY trying to defend the game I like. But, here's what I have arrived at after more than a decade of thinking about it ..

People don't really remember that Activision put out "Call of Duty" as a direct response to BF42. They had to counter it because it was so powerful an entry. So, add up all of the money Call of Duty has made and all of the money that Battlefield has made over the years and .. this is the game that started it all. This is version 1.0, the original for both of those games.

So, there's a lot of stuff that got done in this game that they chose not to carry in to other sequels .. either CoD or BF. One, very obviously, is naval. This game is not the DEFINITIVE naval simulation but .. it pretty much is the end all be all for combined arms naval-air-amphibious-island defense type of warfare. The stuff we play on Wake and Midway and other maps was never, ever done again in the canon. Ever. And Midway is the only map you can use a submarine for tactical purposes in the history of Call of Duty or Battlefield. Unfortunately, they modded out the submarines in Midway here but .. that is one intensely unique circumstance.

Another basic reason is the physics engine. Battlefield 1942's concept was:

"Vehicle simulators have gotten really really good on computers now. So, let's just throw a bunch of simulators in to a sandbox and see what happens".

They give all of the physics of a simulator but none of the complexity. It's gameplay, mostly. And that's where it comes from. A fun, not entirely realistic physics engine makes for hilarious stuff. There's things I see in the game today I have never seen before .. 15 years after playing it. The reason that is .. is because .. it's a complex physics engine from taking all these "simulators" and throwing them together in to one arena. And then, they cranked up the fun factor. So, it's based in reality more than most any game .. but yet .. bizarre weirdo crazy laugh-out-loud stuff happens because of that exact reason.

Finally, there's weirdo people like that JB guy who really dig history .. we're in to it. And these maps .. man did they do their homework. When things are created for EXACT realism .. it's not fun. It might be a great recreation of it .. EXACT .. but it's boring as shit. Or .. it's not fun because war isn't fun. But, the homework was done from the perspective of each map takes an ABSTRACTION .. a strange Picasso like abstraction .. of the original source material of realism. And they keep the basic concept of what was the historical bent on things. It's done really, really well and I am always flabbergasted that it holds to the historical line so well. Now, granted, goofy modders screw up a map something fierce (See: Tobruk .. blue can't win there) but the GAMEPLAY .. the weaponry .. the vehicles .. I'll tell ya what .. there are people that before Battlefield 1942 would not know how to tell the difference between a Tiger tank and a Sherman. But after Battlefield 1942 .. if they see one in a museum .. they know RIGHT OFF what type of tank that is and what side used it.

That's a good thing.

That's how history should be taught.

And Battlefield 1942 teaches history in a wonderful, wonderful way.

Come play with us, B.A.

We miss you.

JB

JawBreaker

Postby Bad Actor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Hey, I get a warm fuzzy glow from purchasing stuff I'll never play but nice to have.
I have a loft full of it and don't get me started on my Steam library.
Bought the card to future proof myself as a lot of games required more than 1gb of vram but the way it's working out I'm falling back to BF1942 for sheer playability.
Sounds like a cliche but need to drive a Rolls Royce before you realise that a Ford Fiesta will do the same job and reward you with a better driving experience.
Bad Actor

Postby Bad Actor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Hey JB, good to hear from ya!

You are bang on with your observations.
I'm a WW2 nut, always googling stuff about Midway, Aberdeen, etc.
On my bucket list,
https://www.battlefieldvegas.com/produc ... experience

My family are deserting me in August when they move to Canada so I'll have a lot more time to meet you and Hilly on the battlefield.
Just bloody busy right now with work.
Bad Actor

Postby JawBreaker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:35 pm

I looked at that Vegas experience you linked there. That's stunning. I don't fire guns, own guns, mess with guns, care about guns. I think they are flat out evil. Yet, here in America, the people that claim they are the most religious are the ones that love guns the most. It always made no sense to me. They did READ The Book, right? My father had at least 50 guns. He was a policeman. That's not me, man. Not my scene. I say this so our British big brothers don't think every single American is some whacked out ignorant redneck with a gun molded in to the shape of Jesus hanging over their bed. Please don't judge us on Donald Trump. Most of us are actually embarrassed and we're hoping others around the world are embarrassed for us too. We're just going through a rough time right now. Usually, these things end in divorce. Which is what will happen soon in America. They can go have The Republic of Texas with God and Guns and we can have America back. I can see very clearly that it is headed there and this is just the beginning.

That being said ..

This week is The United States Open in Men's golf.

Justin Rose won it in Philadelphia in 2013!

Would love to hear him on Teamspeak again.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=3492#

JB
JawBreaker

Postby iCQ » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:58 pm

Totally agree... i running on hardware its in total $3100... playing BF1942 on quadro card... UUH...

I been thinking alot about bf1942 and i think i know the magic of this game... will not share it with you tho :lol:

Thanks for the great read guys!!!! (especially ur words Jawbreaker)

Return to BF1942 Related Discussion