-> NEW SERVER IP: 94.23.196.155 - PRESS UPDATE BUTTON IN GAME TO REFRESH YOUR SERVER LIST <-

-> Get fix for server browser freeze caused by Gamespy shutdown here <-

1942 and Windows 7

Discuss. About Battlefield. 1942 of course.

1942 and Windows 7

Postby PizzatheHut » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:41 pm

This one goes out to the general community that is still running Windows 7. I used to have 1942 running fine in this OS until security updates downloaded TODAY. Now the game won't even launch. 2142 started launching with an error "could not initialize security module" or something similar as well. Is anyone else seeing this? MS is debating support for Win7 I know but I don't know if something has changed. I am using the Anthology CDs. I am also dual-booting Linux (Ubuntu) so if it is no longer working in Win7 then what is the easiest way or can you run it in Linux? Thx.
PizzatheHut

Re: 1942 and Windows 7

Postby TheVicar » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:20 am

Hackers do less damage than Microsoft.

A few days ago I ghost reimaged my PC back to 6 months ago. So I'll install the new win7 updates and see if it breaks mine. Then I'll reimage back to 6 months ago.

I stopped using Linux as an O.S. many years ago, for no known reason. Does it support 3D graphics cards properly these days??? Because if it does Microsoft will then be an irritation of the past for me.
TheVicar

Postby PizzatheHut » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:50 am

You are a wise man vicar. Linux, Ubuntu at least, hasn't gotten much better with graphics but I'm sure I can find a fix. You're so right about MS and I'm so angry right now. I thought about reimaging. I have a similar dated image, but they're going to force the security update down our throats I think. MS says they're not forcing people to Ten, but they may have pulled a trick idk. 3 good servers are still up, this being the big one, but I get the tank track black box and then nothing. The FIRST UT was working too, and now is not. **angry and confused**
PizzatheHut

Postby TheVicar » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:35 pm

I just keep a few images back for each machine I've got so MS and viruses can't mess with my life.

Take the power back. Linux boot CD with Ghost installed and an external HDD, job done.

Do you know the windows update KB******.exe numbers that were installed around the failure point?
I'll manually install each one until it fails and then we know which one to block.
TheVicar

Return to BF1942 Related Discussion