-> NEW SERVER IP: 94.23.196.155 - PRESS UPDATE BUTTON IN GAME TO REFRESH YOUR SERVER LIST <-

-> Get fix for server browser freeze caused by Gamespy shutdown here <-

If you could mod the BF42 maps, how would you mod them?

Discuss. About Battlefield. 1942 of course.

If you could mod the BF42 maps, how would you mod them?

Postby JawBreaker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:25 pm

JB here .. I've noticed in the current state of Battlefield 1942 .. the way players are currently playing and the player count on the aX server .. that there are a few maps that just don't work anymore. My favorite map .. in all the history of Battlefield .. is Tobruk. But the fact is, it always ends up the same. It's 32 guys defending the back flag and nothing really ever happens. It's virtually impossible for the Axis to win in BF42's current state.

So, how would you mod the map to make it more interesting .. a better play experience? I remember .. over on Team Simple .. The Great Escape .. some server like that .. they had a wonderful modded Tobruk map. I don't remember everything about the modding but I do remember they pulled the front flags back a little bit from the sandbags and that forced the Axis to attack a little more. Also, they placed one of the middle flags in that little town before the back base. That made for some interesting city fighting in a desert map. What would you do?

On a related note, I have this massive old hard drive. Tons of data from way back when. I haven't looked at it in years. About a month ago, I was poking around in it and found extensive files on Tobruk. I was the Commanding Officer of the clan Steal Rage. We played in CAL. The first season we went undefeated in league play and advanced through the playoffs. The "World Championship" was played on Tobruk, best two out of three with the teams changing sides after each map. I had 117 guys in that clan and our entire strength was a series of truly elite pilots .. the best in the game. But Tobruk had no planes. So, I made these MASSIVELY intricate files, hundreds of hours of work from The Officer Corps and Squad Leaders on to me .. on our Grand Strategy of Tobruk for the Championship of the World in Battlefield 1942. I had to discern and vet these plans, revise a cohesive strategic vision and then explain this to the officers .. they had to take them to the squad leaders. Then, the squad leaders would break down the intensely specific plans for their individual players. And I oversaw it all through comms and through execution that week as we password shuttered our server and ran rehearsals over and over and over again. Stopping the clock, resetting the clock, giving my officers specific time stamps for squad achievements, tasking squad leaders with individual personnel kit load out for maximum effect, allocating specific asset sheets .. coupled with extensive year long analytics of player performance in each one of those assets .. all to achieve maximum shock and awe coupled with devastatingly cold drop-dead efficiency. Whether here with Steal Rage, later at my command in Reverence .. or even as C.O. at First Army in to Battlefield 2 .. that razor efficiency coupled with flawless rehearsed clockwork execution was always the hallmark of a JawBreaker clan. That's how I did what I did in Battlefield clans. That's how we won all those championships. That's the JB trademark.

Well .. that and screaming at the top of my fucking lungs until I scared the shit out of everybody.

But, anyways, I kept all those files .. for that match .. for all these years.

Man, those were The Grand Old Days of Battlefield.

I wish you guys coulda seen it.

Another interesting map on the aX server is Aberdeen. Basically, the entire map is won in the first two minutes and it just breaks down in to one team coming 100 yards out of their main before they are killed by untold masses of armor on their front gate. So, how would you mod that map?

I noticed extensive and radical mods on Midway. Can't say that I approve of them all. For some reason, this server *HATES* submarines. The subs are only found in Midway and Guadalcanal. And both of those maps have the submarines modded out. It should be noted, in all of the Battlefield canon and all of the Call of Duty canon, these maps are the only two places where you can control a submarine. They are intensely unique circumstances and I am sad that this has been taken out. I do approve of the para-drop mod, though. Well done. It's silly and in no way honors the philosophy of the historical conflict .. and it generally breaks the map but .. you don't have to sit in a landing craft for five minutes and die immediately upon landfall. Only to be tasked with doing it again. And again. And again. The combined arms of massive air .. both land based and carrier based assets .. coupled with varying types of naval ordinance .. and tacked on to armor warfare on the island which supplicates the infantry tactics .. now *THAT* map is Battlefield 1942. And I am sad that the submarines have been sacrificed. That map .. Midway .. represents the apex of all of online gaming in the Battlefield and Call of Duty canons. That's what Battlefield was always supposed to be. Fucking mayhem .. absolute goddamn chaos. That's Battlefield 1942. So, how would you mod Midway if you could for aX?

Kharkov still holds up. Wake is not bad. But maybe somebody has some ideas of those maps.

Please note that: "add airplanes" is never a valid modding idea. Market Garden is an abomination with Axis aircraft. But, everybody seems to do it. When you consider mods, always remember what the game designers themselves were trying to achieve with the map. Market Garden is a classic armor vs. air map with two choke-points. Adding German air destroys the concept entirely. And makes for an unfair map .. as we've mostly seen in the gameplay. Tobruk is "The Alamo". Spitfires would destroy the living and breathing historical examination of a desperate battle. Wake is similar but because of the unique shape of the island combined tactical warfare is perfect as counterattacks and flanking are classic orders from Genghis Khan to Napoleon to Lee to Rommel. There was a reason that the designers chose Wake Island as the demo map.

I have very deep feelings on this subject that have gestated for 15 years of examining these venerable old maps .. and I view them through a shaded lens of deep historical and strategy perspectives. But I'm more interested in what you have to say ..

So let's hear it ..

JB

JawBreaker

Re: If you could mod the BF42 maps, how would you mod them?

Postby Jesus Villamor » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:30 pm

You could check Experience WW2 mod's "XWW2 Market garden" as IMO one of the best modded/conversion of vanilla Bf1942 maps. Too bad the mod had to deal of very stiff competition with other WWII mods (BG42 and FH) content-wise.
"Xi (Jinping) ain't gonna treat you right!"

Chris Chappell
China uncensored
Jesus Villamor

Postby JawBreaker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 am

That's a good point, Jesus.

I definitely was not speaking of total modifications .. such as Desert Combat or Battlegroup or Forgotten Hope .. and the like.

Just talking about the modifications of the maps that currently run on the aX server and ideas folks may have about how to make them play a little better and give a better gaming experience. Fair for each side and maximizing the fun factor.

I know the first time I played Battlefield 1 in the fall, I thought "DAMN .. they could mod this in to one HELL of a WWII game" but I was later informed that the days of mods like Forgotten Hope and Desert Combat are long, long gone. I gather that game companies no longer allow such a thing.

So, I guess we can hope in a couple years that when the next Battlefield comes out .. it'll come back home to the game that founded Call of Duty and the entire Battlefield franchise .. our game .. BF42.

JawBreaker

Postby Professor_Smith » Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 am

Personally, I've already made qn epic mini-mod for Bf1942, and I'm just waiting for a server owner to give it a chance and run it. The mod's name is: HTroop v1.0b82, and it (and all mods required to run it) can be downloaded from my forum, at : htroop.mricesolutions.com
Lets make war games, not war.
Professor_Smith

Postby iCQ » Tue May 16, 2017 12:36 pm

I believe the maps are fine in their original state. Just too many players on them.. they were made for 32 players. 48 might be fine but 64 is overkill.

Nevertheless most maps here on aX do quite ok with 64.

Postby JawBreaker » Tue May 16, 2017 5:17 pm

At the point of busting the cervix of the incessant ass kissing of aX ..

.. the maps on aX are HIGHLY modified. At Tobruk, there's so much armor, it's insane. Market Garden has the standard government issue "Give Planes to the Germans" foolishness that entirely destroys the interesting analysis of a conflict of armor vs. air and two chokepoints. Midway with the crazy paradrop .. it goes on and on. I mean, Gazala even has a new flag and spawnpoint! That's a pretty radical modification there.

So, when you say "the maps are fine in their original state" .. understand you are HAMMERING aX pretty heavy. That's intense criticism.

There's not much anybody can do about it anyways. The point is moot. The aX server is a ghost ship where nothing can be altered or changed. And, furthermore, the status of this game is regularly .. 75 people WORLDWIDE .. are playing Battlefield 1942 now. Worldwide.

The game is almost dead.

That's very sad .. but it's been a great run.

JB

JawBreaker

Postby Professor_Smith » Tue May 16, 2017 11:27 pm

I agree that its almost dead, but I believe its because no one has run a server with a mod that is more exciting. HTroop v1.0b82 for example, has not only more than 3x the original number of maps bf1942 has, but it has tons more vehicles, everything is modified and enhanced, physics are better, combat is more challenging, the bots are amazing, and more. No stone has been left unturned, so to speak. Everything is edited, instead of only a few map changes, here and there. Thats what bf enthusiests need these days; not just modified maps that have been played into the ground.
Lets make war games, not war.
Professor_Smith

Postby iCQ » Tue May 16, 2017 11:54 pm

JawBreaker wrote:..

At the point of busting the cervix of the incessant ass kissing of aX ..

.. the maps on aX are HIGHLY modified. At Tobruk, there's so much armor, it's insane. Market Garden has the standard government issue "Give Planes to the Germans" foolishness that entirely destroys the interesting analysis of a conflict of armor vs. air and two chokepoints. Midway with the crazy paradrop .. it goes on and on. I mean, Gazala even has a new flag and spawnpoint! That's a pretty radical modification there.

So, when you say "the maps are fine in their original state" .. understand you are HAMMERING aX pretty heavy. That's intense criticism.

There's not much anybody can do about it anyways. The point is moot. The aX server is a ghost ship where nothing can be altered or changed. And, furthermore, the status of this game is regularly .. 75 people WORLDWIDE .. are playing Battlefield 1942 now. Worldwide.

The game is almost dead.

That's very sad .. but it's been a great run.

JB

Hahahhahahaahahha Jawbreaker... hahahaha whats in a name... hahahahaha i will keep my mouth shut as i want to be political correct AND out of respect and thankfulness of s[sk]. But thanks for your post!

A ghost ship... i heard sir s[sk] is BUSY... i think.. he... has... the... right... TO BE

Dear friends, i leave this topic with the wise words of a famous buddisth munk: the beauty of life is that everything will die one day. Even your so called god (read: game-server)

Postby JawBreaker » Wed May 17, 2017 12:56 am

Professor_Smith wrote:
HTroop v1.0b82 for example, has not only more than 3x the original number of maps bf1942 has, but it has tons more vehicles, everything is modified and enhanced ..

Yeah, I've seen you post here a few times about FTroop .. HTroop .. whatever. I respect your effort a great deal, I truly do. But, it could pretty much be the greatest friggin' mod in the history of all modifications and you would be entirely wasting your time. There's just no chance .. no chance .. of getting much participation.

DC was the biggest mod in the history of Battlefield. It has a few players .. now and again you might see 20 people playing it. It's rare but it is possible. Other mods like is82 with GoodDay to Die and the fellas .. they might have 2 people on.

Forgotten Hope is probably your best bet if you want to play modified Battlefield 1942. I see on the weekends, and Hilly was pointing this out .. they have high participation on the weekends. Of course, this is an entirely European based circumstance with FH. But, they do well.

Then, you have servers that run Secret Weapons and Road to Rome .. those are official expansion packs.

So, Professor .. there is .. you're just pretty much wasting your time and good talent with HTroop. There's nobody playing this game anymore .. and of the ones who do .. the mod scene is sliced 6 different ways. Best case is that 10% of players play a mod. You are of no name value to anyone .. nobody has ever heard of or has played HTroop so .. there's just .. no way it's gonna take off. I feel bad about that because it seems like you know your stuff and put a lot of time in to it. But every time I see you post, I wince because I think of all that time that is just going for .. something that in no way can work.

The biggest problem with BF42 right now is .. no American server. None. Moongamers lost their server entirely. It's mostly their attitude that did them in. That and, as Hilly and I experienced, allowing admins to hack without any form of control. They argue this fact and scream at anybody who says it but .. that is basically what happened.

And that was the last American based server. If U.S.-based players want to play a good game of BF42, it's 120+ pings. And that turns good players off hardcore because they lose to inferior players simply because of ping. They go find something else to do.

ICQ .. go take your meds, man.

You are one intensely bizarre human.

JB

JawBreaker

Postby TheVicar » Wed May 17, 2017 3:28 am

Please say no to infighting.

I said this (in chat) a few years ago about each person trying to remember their last kill/death/laughter whilst playing BF1942 online. Your last true online moment of a game.

I was thinking about BFVietnam when I said it + my memory of how pissed off I was when it ended and not being able to remember my online end. (HL1 TFC, HL1 DOD didn't teach me that enough. Vietnam did.)

Going back in the future to single player mode to find what you've lost from a game is a bad feeling. Because you can't when there's nobody there.

Remember the dead. Remember the last one who killed you.

We are still here.
Last edited by TheVicar on Wed May 17, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheVicar

Next

Return to BF1942 Related Discussion