-> NEW SERVER IP: 94.23.196.155 - PRESS UPDATE BUTTON IN GAME TO REFRESH YOUR SERVER LIST <-

-> Get fix for server browser freeze caused by Gamespy shutdown here <-

PORTABLE "Desert Combat Final"

Discuss. About Battlefield. 1942 of course.

PORTABLE "Desert Combat Final"

Postby andwan0 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 am

PS IMPORTANT NOTE:
It's not an ALL-IN-ONE installer. There's no install process. It was meant to be a PORTABLE "Desert Combat Final" - eg. just unzip and play. It will write out the appropriate registry settings if they don't exist. Yes, you would need to run a cdkey changer. And yes, the Windows user account would need write-permission to registery.

If you ALREADY KNOW how to install BF/DC then this isn't for you.
If you deleted/removed BF long time ago and now just need to get the game installed fast... or maybe it's a friend who's never played FPS games prior to 2013 - I have many friends who has little experience in running about 3-4 installers, + patching just to play ONE game. I just made this PORTABLE Desert Combat Final so they just need to do one unzip, then run the game.

ZIP CONTENTS: I created a vanilla Origin install + gamespy patch + Desert Combat 0.7 + DC Final. (I haven't run the game, so all files/settings is like factory-defaults).

http://tinyurl.com/installdesertcombat
Last edited by andwan0 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
andwan0

Re: Desert Combat Final Ready

Postby andwan0 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:10 pm

The only other BF+DC archive I know of is bf-game.com's but their instructions are in Russian.
Using google-translate helps a little, but screenshots are in Russian, and I don't know if the downloaded game will be in Russian?

https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... Fkak-igrat

Will compare this install with mine using file/folder diff/compare tool (Beyond Compare).
andwan0

Postby Posi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks for running compare tool.

You dumped an ALL-IN-ONE installer on most major forums of users who ALREADY HAVE BATTLEFIELD installed.

Question #1 What does this installer do to a user who installs attempting to gain the mod who has a pre-installed copy of Battlefield.

Question #2 What aspects of the registry does it draw from to derive install location.

Question #3 What aspects of the registry does it write too.

and sir... I am just getting started.
Posi

Postby andwan0 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:56 am

Posi wrote:Thanks for running compare tool.

You dumped an ALL-IN-ONE installer on most major forums of users who ALREADY HAVE BATTLEFIELD installed.

Question #1 What does this installer do to a user who installs attempting to gain the mod who has a pre-installed copy of Battlefield.

Question #2 What aspects of the registry does it draw from to derive install location.

Question #3 What aspects of the registry does it write too.

and sir... I am just getting started.

It's not an ALL-IN-ONE installer. There's no install process. It was meant to be a PORTABLE "Desert Combat Final" - eg. just unzip and play. It will write out the appropriate registry settings if they don't exist. Yes, you would need to run a cdkey changer. And yes, the Windows user account would need write-permission to registery.

Q1 - some users deleted/removed BF long time ago. or maybe it's a friend who's never played FPS games prior to 2013 - I have many friends who has little experience in running about 3-4 installers, + patching just to play a game. I just made this PORTABLE Desert Combat Final so they just need to do one unzip, then run the game.

Q2 - I have installed Battlefield 1942 / DC to default location, then I have physically moved the BF folder elsewhere. The game runs fine.
andwan0

Re: PORTABLE "Desert Combat Final"

Postby Posi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Thankyou for the clarification sir. Especially pointing out that your system is NOT for pre-installed 42 users.

To offer some clarity on why Abandonware is not posted more broadly or carried on file servers on the various community websites. It is due to the risk of DMCA, a troll or unhappy user could file a DMCA complaint on such a listing and *poof* goes the link or if hosted on a file server, the entire website. This has actually happened recently resulting in a dead link distribution.

My concerns remains offering this type of d/l or any which discuss or include 'hash changers' or similar tools or game exploits of any kind. Though personally involved in mod-testing which involved a working All-In-One installer. I voiced the exact same concerns in that endeavor due to the components used and actions taken by the software.

Team Simple's Abandonware links are fine. I've personally tested the MyAbandonware and XTCAbandonware downloads for Battlefield 1942, they are fine. Desert Combat is not that hard to find. ~ Posi
Posi

Re: PORTABLE "Desert Combat Final"

Postby iCQ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:01 pm

Oh wow very nice! I will test and check it out this week and report back here.

NICE!

Return to BF1942 Related Discussion