-> NEW SERVER IP: 94.23.196.155 - PRESS UPDATE BUTTON IN GAME TO REFRESH YOUR SERVER LIST <-

-> Get fix for server browser freeze caused by Gamespy shutdown here <-

GAMESPY SHUTDOWN / REPLACEMENT MASTER SERVER / FREEZE FIX

Discuss. About Battlefield. 1942 of course.

Re: GAMESPY SHUTDOWN / REPLACEMENT MASTER SERVER

Postby seventy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:16 am

Great job, Bazi. :geek:
seventy

Re: GAMESPY SHUTDOWN

Postby Trench » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:45 am

s[sk] wrote:hosts patcher tool was updated to v0.2, fixed a stupid bug with read-only hosts (d'oh)

Thanks for creating the hosts file patcher, s[sk]. That makes things easier for folks who want to use this option but aren't familiar with Windows default security permissions in this area.

One thing I noted today was that the patcher application crashes if the Winsock gethostbyname() call fails. Hopefully that's not happening to many folks, but you might consider at some point to either have a hard-coded fallback IP address to put in the hosts file if the live lookup fails, or at least present a graceful failure message rather than trying to dereference the null hostent structure and crashing.

Thanks again for this and all the other work you've done to keep the Battlefield 1942 community alive post-GameSpy!

-Trench
Trench

Postby Mr.Cheese » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:52 am

um, now i just have a question, how do i see the servers, as i can open it but its completely blank for me
help. maybe i did it wrong? i don't know i just need help
Mr.Cheese

Re: GAMESPY SHUTDOWN

Postby s[sk] » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:56 am

Trench wrote:One thing I noted today was that the patcher application crashes if the Winsock gethostbyname() call fails. Hopefully that's not happening to many folks, but you might consider at some point to either have a hard-coded fallback IP address to put in the hosts file if the live lookup fails, or at least present a graceful failure message rather than trying to dereference the null hostent structure and crashing.

thanks, i'll fix that
s[sk]

Postby s[sk] » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:57 am

Mr.Cheese wrote:um, now i just have a question, how do i see the servers, as i can open it but its completely blank for me
help. maybe i did it wrong? i don't know i just need help

some more info would be useful, like what did you, what do you open and what's blank
s[sk]

Postby (BB)DinkW » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:17 am

Ok its now the 7th of June and it looks like the Gamespy server is still up?

Have they moved the shutdown date :?
(BB)DinkW

Postby Bazi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:20 am

(BB)DinkW wrote:Ok its now the 7th of June and it looks like the Gamespy server is still up?

Have they moved the shutdown date :?

Yes, EA has moved the date one month, shutdown is now June 30.

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
Bazi

Postby (BB)DinkW » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Ok thanks for that Bazi :)

But, and here's the thing, if EA have nothing to do with the shutdown of Gamespy as they claim how can they postpone the shutdown of it now, just a bit confused :?
(BB)DinkW

Postby Bazi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:45 pm

Good question... Maybe they paid them money to keep some servers for their games running a bit longer, I don't know. Maybe (hopefully) they are still trying to do something with community-solutions like this one.
Bazi

Postby MasterX » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:16 pm

I offer my assistance as well, i already run a custom BF2 Ranking system, i have Server Python Files and Modified EXEs already built for it, all they need is the gamespy to bf1942.sk fix added.

I own Gamestats.ws it hasnt been used much lately, but it is still 100% functional and if people wanted to use it, i can tidy it up and modernize it a little bit. All my scripting is 100% sound as far as python, my server files are copied directly from an official EA ranked server and as such work identically except they report to my mainframe instead of EA.

I also have extensive knowledge of BF2s networking aspects.

I also have a good deal of server power as im a Network Engineer.

I dont want to see the game die either, and im willing to help.

I am one of the Coding Team for the old Desert Conflict and Desert Conflict Xtended mods.
MasterX

PreviousNext

Return to BF1942 Related Discussion