-> Get fix for server browser freeze caused by Gamespy shutdown here <-

GAMESPY SHUTDOWN / REPLACEMENT MASTER SERVER

Discuss. About Battlefield. 1942 of course.

GAMESPY SHUTDOWN / REPLACEMENT MASTER SERVER

Postby s[sk] » Tue May 13, 2014 1:04 pm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHORT VERSION

Gamespy master server is now down, you need to patch your hosts file or game exe or the game will be freezing when entering server browser.

Use this hosts patcher tool or read the rest of this post for other options

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What?

Gamespy (now a defunct company) is shutting down their servers.

What does it mean?

Gamespy hosts the master list server for Battlefield 1942 (among other games). It is used when you press "Update" button in the in-game server browser. Unfortunately it's also contacted automatically when you enter Multiplay -> Internet and if the master server is not responding, you'll get a lengthy freeze until the request times out.
Currently there's no info from EA about doing anything about it for BF1942. Instead they've removed BF1942 from Origin downloads.

When?

Initial reports were stating the doom date being May 31th, current info from EA (http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates) talks about June 30th.

What can I do if I still want to play?

First of all, the good thing is that the servers you've marked as favorites will be still there. The annoying freeze on dead master server can be fixed by using a patched .exe
Also, you're not required to do anything yet but i suggest reading through the options to be prepared when gamespy master goes down to know your options and where to get the needed stuff.

Replacement master list server:

We have a replacement master list server with servers imported from the official one (last import: July 26, 3am CET) + those that are already sending heartbeats to it.

Unfortunatly, redirecting your game to it requires an action on your side, the options being:

1. using modified .exe files

I've modified binaries to use master.b1942.sk instead of master.gamespy.com. These versions already contain other fixes like widescreen support, fix for freeze on dead master, etc. Please read included txt files.

CD version:
files/bf1942-v1.61-nocd-widescreen-gamespy-fix.zip

Origin version:
files/bf1942-v1.612-no-origin-widescreen-gamespy-fix.zip

(you may want to set compatibility mode to win xp xp3 or win 98 for the .exe, it usually helps with crashes if you're running newer Windows versions, see here)

2. changing IP of master.gamespy.com via hosts file

You can do this either automatically using our hosts patcher (files/bf1942_gamespy_patcher.exe) or manually by editing your hosts file.
The patcher should get the current replacement IP (by resolving master.bf1942.sk), check your hosts file and allow you to patch, unpatch or fix the ip if it was changed meanwhile.

You can also do this manually by editing your hosts file and adding line

109.71.69.254 master.gamespy.com

to it.

hosts file is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Desktop shortcuts:

We have prepared a small installer that will install shotcuts that allow you to connect to aX by one doubleclick.
Download it here: files/bf1942-ax.exe

Third party server browsers:

There are many tools that can get you connected to servers, options include X-Fire, QTracker, Gameranger, PFC Toolbox, etc.
This section will be expanded soon.

If you want to link this page, please use this url: http://forum.bf1942.sk/gamespy
s[sk]

Re: GAMESPY SHUTDOWN

Postby s[sk] » Tue May 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Information for server owners (preliminary)

Replacement master server now supports dynamic server registration functionality. I currently don't suggest doing any changes to your production servers unless you want to help with testing (you can't have your server to report itself on both masters without non-trivial firewall rules).

Redirecting your server to report itself to the replacement server is similar to the client method, it's either done by editing hosts (see above, hosts file on linux systems is /etc/hosts) or by editing server binary and replacing master.gamespy.com with master.bf1942.sk with trailing zero byte (not recommended unless you know what you're doing). You need to restart server process for changes to take effect (no need to restart whole machine/vps).
Modified server binaries will be available soon.

Replacement master currently contains imported list from the official one (see the first post for last import time) + those servers that are sending heartbeats to it.
Imported entries won't expire for at least 1 month since the gamespy shutdown, giving enough time for transition.
s[sk]

Postby Madrid » Wed May 14, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks for the solution which you have worked on.

However, there is one more thing which I ask please, this is in regards to letting people know about the situation. There are still many clueless people on the server who do not know that Gamespy is shutting down or what it is.
Could you please add in a couple of lines of grey text? Does not have to be much and be kept as simple as possible. PFC server has started adding in a few grey lines, ie

Make sure you have our toolbox to join The Day After Tomorrow!
Day of Infamy 31 05 14
Your Game will FREEZE after 31st May!

These aren't too helpful but we get the point. Please if you could just add in a few lines.

31.05.14: Gamespy server list support ends! This affects you!

You will not be able to join servers the way you used to!

Go to forum.bf1942.sk/gamespy NOW if you want to play after may.

STAY ONLINE with a quick helpful download!

That grey text would be much easier than we having to keep on typing the same thing over and over. The most important line is just forum.bf1942.sk/gamespy since all the information is here
Madrid

Postby Bob_0403 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:30 am

Yes it is a good idea. I know that already there is a line but I think it is not very catchy:D Put something more radical or a clearer line(s) for example: "Want to play after May 31? Go to: gamespy" or "Your game won't work after May 31. For solutinon please visit: gamespy"
Or short clear sentences like this.
But this is only my suggestion :)
Bob_0403

Postby M1ke » Wed May 14, 2014 10:31 am

Good job!
M1ke

Postby E-3 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:11 pm

i named my server go look forum.bf1942.sk/gamespy
i hope that will raise some eyebrows

i hope ax simple schindler's list moongamers and many more servers that are well known will name the server this way for the next 16 days !
Last edited by E-3 on Tue May 20, 2014 5:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
E-3

Postby Mr.Cheese » Thu May 15, 2014 6:36 am

I tried this and it broke my game, i think i did something wrong. please make the instructions much more clear as i never modded or did anything like this. also if someone could send me a fresh battlefield1942 as i broke my old one, when i try to bring up battlefield 1942 i get exe loader "Activation .dll load failed"
Mr.Cheese

Postby s[sk] » Thu May 15, 2014 6:49 am

what exactly did you do on what version of the game?

if it's Origin version, you may try "Repair install" in the origin client
s[sk]

Postby s[sk] » Thu May 15, 2014 9:51 am

added server info, see 2nd post of the thread
s[sk]

Postby Mr.Cheese » Thu May 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Um what happens if i already deleted origin and battlefield 1942, is there any way i can get it back?
Mr.Cheese

Next

Return to BF1942 Related Discussion